CAST

INQUIRIES (psychochiatrist@gmail.com)

Brianna (18-22) -- This college girl loves to party and be at the center of attention. Dave is her boyfriend, but only for now -- until she finds someone more appealing. But, for all her sass, spunk, and sex appeal is an insecure creature that suffered with weight issues as a child. Brianna is the kind of girl just waiting for an opportunity to lash out. LIKES: bars & clubs, reality tv, Texas Hold 'Em, and money DISLIKES: pets and children

Emily (18-21) -- As Kayden's emotionally damaged best friend, Emily is a gentle artist plagued with insecurities and an obsessive compulsive personality. Her boyfriend, Sid, means well but sometimes falls short of supporting her. However, underneath all her issues is a courageous woman waiting to shine. LIKES: photography, dancing in the rain, jelly beans, and cartoons DISLIKES: public Speaking and large crowds

Kayden (18-21) -- Growing up rich, Kayden is used to getting everything she's ever wanted. So, when she ends up in therapy with the charming Trevor Whim it's only natural for him to become her boyfriend -- only, she got more than what she bargained for. Caring to the fault of being a busy-body, this protagonist evolves as she realizes her boyfriend isn't all she ever hoped for. LIKES: dining out, travelling, cuddling, and fine wine DISLIKES: cruelty to animals and football

Trevor (31-35) -- This conniving maniac became a psychiatrist because he wanted to learn other peoples' secrets, to explore the darker side of human nature. After rising to the top of his field, this charming doctor decided that controlling his patients through medication just wasn't enough -- he wanted to take a more active approach, over their lives... Kayden and her friends have the unfortunate honor of being Dr. Trevor's second group experiment. LIKES: working out, Dr. Mengele, modern medicine, and eugenics DISLIKES: spiritual healing and massage therapy

Dave (23-26) -- Brianna's social-climbing boyfriend. Dave drinks too much and parties too hard. There is barely a filter between his brain and his mouth. Though he brags about working at a Hedge Fund on Wall Street, he is actually the lead mailroom clerk and suffers from a bad case of 'keeping up with the Jones' LIKES: babes, partying, and 80's metal DISLIKES: exercise and meeting new people

Sid (22-25) -- Emily's tough-guy boyfriend that keeps it real. A high school drop out that claims no regrets, but secretly suffers from deep-rooted insecurites that manifest in the form of anxiety attacks. Sid is distrusting of those who attempt to wear their smarts on their sleeve. LIKES: beer, pick-up football games, getting high and chillin' DISLIKES: college boys and drama

Monday, May 12, 2008

Interview with Natalie LaSpina

Natalie LaSpina was 10-years old when a theatre troupe came to the town of her childhood. Her mom had encouraged her to try out for the troupe's production of Annie and much to her surprise she was cast as none other than the title role. "After that I was always doing plays in my town, or the town over -- I loved it so much." And, because her dad is a musician, she was out in NYC quite often, always dreaming about pursuing acting -- knowing it was what she wanted to do.

As for theater or film, Natalie is attracted to film because "it has a certain realism that I like more than in theater. You can really accentuate the subtleties of a character in film acting -- especially as you become a character."

Further discussion of the nuances of film help shed light on Natalie's philosophy of acting as an art form. "In a way, acting is the art of psychology. Even if you're not like the character you're playing, you take on that role. You explore the different sides of your own personality. Being able to relate to character and story -- to really highlight the emotional aspect of a scene is an art in and of itself." For Natalie, acting is also a natural high. "When I'm running through a scene, it's a rush, especially when you're working with other talented people."

Natalie reveals that while working catering jobs she uses the opportunity to study those in attendance and learn about them through their actions. She cites an example where she was working a party "...and there was this really beautiful rich woman -- she was a vixen and had every man in the room in the palm of her hand. It was all about the little things... how she drank her wine, how she talked; the little subtlties of how people act.

For inspiration Natalie draws on her family, "especially my father because he's always believed in me since I was little. He always encouraged me to act, sing etc... my sister and brother as well." As for those on film, Angelina Jolie, in the film Gia, was a huge inspiration. "I loved that film, I would watch it all the time. In high school, I wrote a paper about it. Also, the fact that Gia is based on a real person is insane; all the layers that are part of that character. Basketball Diaries really got to me also..."

While it's hard for Natalie to put a label on the roles that she enjoys playing the most, she does enjoy roles where the characters must face their demons. "I enjoy playing light roles, but it's fun to really throw your mind into something and go after the deeper parts."

Speaking about Go Quietly, "I liked the improv type audition, because I was able to be the character when I walked in -- that was so much fun, and it teaches you more about how the actor interprets the role. I never had an audition like that before." She goes on to confess "I hate monologues, no one ever does a monologue in a film -- that's why I enjoy improv much more -- or doing a scene. Sure, sometimes monologues can be good, but interaction is better. It's great when you can feed off another character -- it allows you to relate to the other person and perform in a more real way."

Knowing that acting is what she always wanted Natalie jumped in with both feet: "I moved out of town when I was 18. I took parttime acting classes while supporting myself, but it gave me the acting/life experience I needed. I did it more on my own and even when I was in school I was always auditioning -- a more formal education is different whereas I learned more naturally that talent comes from within. "

No comments: